Search This Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Production: Effect Inaction

A picture a friend of mine took last week in front of Disney Studios in Burbank, CA.


The show I am currently working on is looking for a PA. My APOC sent an email out to the coordinators' email list asking for resumes. This was yesterday. Ever since that email went out, she's been inundated with resumes from PAs. There have been phone calls. And in every conversation, in every message, there is a note of desperation.

Please, help me, I'm out of work.



Fox announced yesterday that it was going to go ahead and air new Family Guy episodes even though show creator Seth MacFarlane is on strike. Which is an interesting choice considering the fact the MacFarlane not only is involved in the writing of the show, he does several of the voices as well.

Last Sunday Fox aired the last completed pre-strike episode. Starting this Sunday, every new Family Guy airing is being produced without MacFarlane. While Fox does technically have the right to go ahead without MacFarlane's involvement, I agree with his assessment that it's "a dick move."

To quote him directly:

"It would just be a colossal dick move if they did that,"

So what's the big deal really? Family Guy is Seth MacFarlane's show. It's been a huge success for Fox and you know it's made a ton of money. Especially on DVD sales. Family Guy is famous for being resurrected after it's tremendous performance in the DVD market.

DVDs. One of the issues of this strike. Residuals that writers receive from DVD sales. Is this starting to come together for you yet?

Fox made a huge amount of money off of Family Guy when it was released on DVD. Fox continues to make a huge amount of money off of the show with new episodes, continued DVD sales, etc. And not only do they refuse to even consider sharing the profit with the creative talent behind the show, rather than respect the creator of this show that has turned them a substantial profit, the network and studio execs choose instead to go on without him.




So now I sit here in my office, look out over LA, and listen to the desperate phone calls.

"I heard you need a PA? Did you get my resume? Where can I send it?"

For one of these people there may be a job. For the rest? There will be uncertainty and frustration as they watch their job prospects fade away. The longer this strike lasts, more productions will shut down, and more PAs will being making these desperate phone calls to the few shows still running.

I am incredibly glad that I made the choice I did when I was offered this job I now I have. It wasn't my only option but it is the only one that currently still exists. If I had chosen differently I would be the one making the desperate phone calls rather than listening to my APOC answer them.

It all goes beyond money. It's about respect. It's about dignity. Right now, there's not much of any of that going around.

Article about Fox Airing Family Guy without MacFarlane


No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.