Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thoughts: Heath Ledger



I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago about The Dark Knight. It was just after I had finally seen the trailer on the big screen and I had to share my excitement with someone. The Dark Knight looks fantastic but there was one thing in the trailer that had really gotten us both going. Or rather, one person. I don't think I need to tell you who that was.

Last week I was sitting at my desk, muddling through my To Do List. Our Assistant Location Manager came in and made an announcement. "Did you guys here about Heath Ledger? They just found him dead in his apartment."

Wait. What?

I've been wanting to write something about Heath Ledger. Something about how saddened I am by his death. Something about how he was one of the few young actors that I was truly excited about. Maybe even something about how, purely selfishly, I'm incredibly disappointed that I will never have the opportunity to work with him.

However, what do I really have to say that no one else can say? When it comes down to it, I didn't know the guy. I've never even seen him in real life. I just know and respect his work. I appreciate his talent. But I have nothing really beyond that to say.

So rather than just being another fan lamenting his death, I'll say simply that I'm sorry he's gone. I feel for his family and friends. And I'm sorry that we won't have any more of his work to look forward to after this summer's Dark Knight.

Now while I can't really say much more than that, someone who knew him most certainly can. I'll leave you here with this then. A very nice piece by The Dark Knight's director, the wonderful Christopher Nolan.

Heath Ledger: dedication and passion of a star

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.