Search This Blog

Friday, October 02, 2009

Thinking Things Through

There are always lots of things to think about. My mind has been mostly full of one of them for the last few weeks.

In just over a week I'll embarking on one of the biggest trips of my life. No exaggeration! I'm leaving L.A. for two and half weeks and what's more, I'm leaving the COUNTRY for 10 days. This is huge guys. I'm 26-years-old and I've never left the country. Maybe it's my socio-economic place in this world, but from where I'm coming from this is not really normal. Almost everyone I know has at least been to Mexico or maybe Canada. I never have. Up until two days ago I didn't even have a passport.




Needless to say, I'm very excited. Excited and nervous as heck. Mostly emphasis on the excited though. My plan for the weekend involves lots of last minute shopping and packing. I don't need to get much but there are few items that need to be purchased. I've already picked up my shoes.



I'm also not planning on bringing my computer with me so this means that as of a week from Saturday I will be offline. No blogging, no Facebook, no Twitter once I leave the states... no more online timesuck. I will have my ipod with me so I could potentially be updating from there when wireless makes itself available. But that's about it.

I have to admit that I'm almost as excited about the prospect of disconnecting as I am about the trip itself. I love the internet and what it does for me but sometimes... I just need a break. This sure is going to be a big one.

In the meantime, there are still other things to occupy my brainspace with.

Roman Polanksi. Okay, not going to say much more about this but I think I can better articulate my thoughts on it all after reading more and talking to folks and thinking about it. Here's what I think. Looking at the crime - reprehensible. There's no excusing it, plain and simple. Looking at the reactions to the story - ridiculous. On the one hand, we have people yelling for his head. People who up until a week ago couldn't have cared less. 33 years and you get offended now? Come on. On the other hand, this petition to free him? No matter what else, he's still guilty. Whatever other absurdity is going on, how can you justify signing a petition to release someone guilty of the crime? And Woody Allen signing in support? Seriously? I feel like I'm watching a satire, not real life. It's all absurd.

And I'm done. That's all I'm going to say about it. I didn't much care about what Polanski was doing last week beyond a passing interest in what his newest film might be and I think it's probably best to stick to that. There's all ready enough hypocrisy to go around.

More fun things!

For the Vegans: Came across this site thanks to @ecovegangirl. Curious if your beer/wine/liquor is vegan friendly? Check out Barnivore! Happy to see that some of my favorites like Stone and Abita are on the list.

Also on the vegan front is Vegan Oktoberfest  at Verdugo Bar on Sunday. I probably won't make it since I'll be at the book fair all day but it looks tasty!

And how many times can I link to the book fair? Really?

Rashomon is playing at the Nuart! I have so much going on and I've seen this movie not just a few times but still. A nice new 35mm print? Tempting...

Thom Yorke is doing a surprise show tonight but good luck getting tickets to that! And if you did get tickets, don't tell me. I don't want to know. You jerks.

Adam P. Knave has an interview up about Stays Crunchy in Milk. It's good! Go read it! And then read his book that my favorite grammarmonkey edited.

That's all I got at the moment. This work thing is actually requiring me to work. So back to that!

7 comments:

Adam P. Knave said...

Woo thanks for the shout out! You can read the book on your trip!

I've actually still never been out of the country. I'm 34. No excuse for it except time and life. But I am slightly jealous. Then again I've never had a real vacation in my life so what do I know.

TheLadysRevenge said...

I'm totally gonna read it on the plane! That and Flashforward and some Joseph Campbell are on my list.

Actually committing to travel out of the country is a big deal! There's a lot involved. It seems like somehow everyone but myself has managed to do this (clearly this isn't the case since you haven't either). Probably also has a lot to do with where I live and the industry I work in.

Adam P. Knave said...

I haven't read Flashfoward yet. Lemme know how it is.

And yeah travel is a big deal at all, at least for me. With the industries I'm wrapped in it is a big deal. I mean, again, I've never had a real vacation. I travel for work, or to work a convention or something but nothing more than maybe 2 days has happened to just BE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

One day I want to take a week off work. Either career. Just to see what it feels like.

It's awesome you're getting to! So where ya going?

TheLadysRevenge said...

Yeah, I've had a lot of "time off" (read: unemployment) this last year but the actually taking time for a vacation doesn't happen very often. I try to do something when I can. Last year my trip was to Florida to visit my grandmother and meet my best friend's baby and hang out in Key West. That's been about it.

I took a weekend last fall to go to SF when Lauren was in town but even then I had to work. I remember running through the airport trying to catch my flight, bag in one hand, phone glued to my ear in the other. Missed the flight but luckily it was Southwest so I could hop on the next. FUN.

ANYWAY. Take a week! You'll love it!

I'm going to Israel for the ten days. NYC for the other five...

Adam P. Knave said...

That sounds like an awesome trip! And I would take a week but I literally can't. I work a full time job and then have a writing schedule of madness on top of it. I don't get breaks.

But when yer in NY so long as I'm in town (9-12 and last weekend in Oct I ain't) I'm buying the first round.

TheLadysRevenge said...

That's part of the reason I try and take a little time now whenever I can... The older I get the more it seems like I'm working all of the time. Even this year with my unemployed time I spent a lot of it writing.

I'll be in town the 10th and 11th and then again the 24th-27th.

Adam P. Knave said...

24-27 I shall hope to see you then! You should have my email addy shoot me stuff at your pace and so on. AND HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.