Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Thoughts: Army of Darkness



“You ain’t leading but two things right now, Jack and Shit, and Jack just left town.”

So do I even need to mention that I love this movie? Or that I love Bruce Campbell? Or that when my mom tells me that she has never seen an Evil Dead movie I decide to sit her down immediately and show her Army of Darkness? I actually would have showed her all of them but Army of Darkness was the only I brought to Florida with me.

The movie is fantastic. It’s hilarious and full of slapstick, it’s got great lines, it’s got deadites, and it’s got lots and lots of Bruce Campbell. And a good amount of Bruce Campbell in half of a shirt. I enjoyed that.

What can I even say about the movie other than the fact that it’s great? It’s a cool, cool movie that’s not scary at all. At least I don’t think it is. But I’m not sure anyone could think it was really that scary with Ash being all Ash-like. Klaatu, Barrata, Necktie… cough, cough… There… I said the words…

Now was it just me, or did anyone else notice the ridiculous similarity between the beginning of the graveyard scene with Evil Ash and the part in Return of the King in front of Minis Morgul. Peter Jackson used almost the exact same shots when he does his freaky, dutch angel, zoom in on the statues right before the army comes marching out of the city as Sam Raimi uses right before his Skeleton Army leaves the graveyard to attack Ash and his primitive screwhead buddies. I thought that was nifty.

Man, the charge on my computer is going down fast. I think I’m gonna shut this down now so I can get some sleep. And while I’m sleeping you should go watch Army of Darkness. It’ll be a good time.

Hail to the King baby.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.