Search This Blog

Saturday, January 03, 2004

Thoughts: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the The King Part III


All right for viewing number 3! It's a good thing I like this movie so much. I think I would have shot myself by now if I didn't. Of course, I probably wouldn't have gone so many times in the first place if I didn't like it.

I had a few more things I wanted to say. Let's see if I can remember them all. I really enjoyed the fact that when I told my friends after the movie that the part in the battle at Minis Tirith with the Oliphants (I haven't gotten to them in the book and have no idea how to spell it. Is it different then Elephant? I'm assuming so.) really reminded me of the battle on Hoth in Empire Strikes back. Especially when Eowyn rides under one of them with Merry and cuts it down. Anyways, when I told them that, my own friend started laughing and said she had thought the same thing. I'm glad I wasn't alone with my geekiness on that one. And I'm sorry if my grammar right there was just really bad.

Sam really excites me in this movie. He's so wonderful. I think I mentioned this before, but I really am kind of partial to the hobbits and he was just so fantastic in this one. I just really liked how the first one was big in character development and introductions, the second showed them on their journey, and the third was where they had to really overcome everything and stand on their own. Sam did this, he was the hero and was able to stand by Frodo and then at the end he became his own Hobbit. As Frodo said, he had to stop being split in half and he really did. And with Merry and Pippin, they were seperated for the first time in any of the movies and they had to learn to survive without the other one. Aragorn had to come to terms with who he was and become the king. And so on. I thought all of that was really well done and acted and believable and I really enjoyed it.

There were two things that kind of stuck out and bothered me this time. The first was one line that Gandalf says about the Nazgul Witch King. His wording is "It is said..." and I just think it would have made a later part much better if the wording had been something to the effect of "It was forseen...." The other part was with Denithor. In the book he has a Palanthia and they leave that out of the movie. And while things still make sense, he could have known everything from rumors and been insane because of grief, all of that would have made a lot more sense if he had had one of the seeing stones. Maybe it was cut and they'll put it on the DVD. I also would have liked a little more with Eowyn and Faramir.

So those are my new thoughts. I just really enjoyed this movie and I can't believe how much I've come to care for all of the characters over the course of the three movies. It's pretty awesome.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.