Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Production: Having A Life


Or not having one, as the case may be. That's one of the things about this lifestyle, it can be so incredibly hard to balance life. Sometimes it's all work, sometimes it's all play. I feel like I haven't had a life outside of work in the last two months. Which I know that I have had a choice, there have been plenty of nights where people have asked me to do things. It's just that after working a fourteen hour day, going out for drinks with the ADs (Assistant Directors) is the last thing I want to do.

Sometimes though, life outside of work cannot be ignored. This last little bit has been almost completely about my non-professional life. Specifically, moving. That's right. Last weekend I moved from my apartment in Burbank to a little house down near the Marina.

Which brings us back to balance. In some ways this move doesn't make much sense in terms of work. While my apartment in Burbank wasn't convenient for much other than Warner Brothers or Universal, a lot of work happens on that side of the hill. Almost nothing goes on in the Marina. It is great if you're working in Culver City, at Culver Studios or Sony. I personally also think it's easier for anything on this side of the hill but that possibly is only personal opinion.

As much as we like to think so, life is not all about work. The balance here is finding a place where I want to live, where I will enjoy the little free time I have, where I won't go insane between jobs. Where I can bike to the beach... If you're going to live in California you may as well live by the beach, right? Right.

2 comments:

James said...

Agreed. Live somewhere you where you can sit on the beach and listen to "Island of Lost Souls."

TheLadysRevenge said...

Exactly

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.