Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Thoughts: 30 Days of Night


So after a long and stressful week I wanted something fun but quiet to occupy my Friday night. I figured, I'm feeling a little icky, what better to make me feel better than Josh Hartnett and vampires? Right?

Wrong. Now yeah, that was what one might call a MISTAKE.

It sucks when a movie looks so fun and turns out to be so terrible. The trailers for 30 Days still look good to me, even after I've watched it. It's the same as it was with Spiderman 3. The trailers look great, the movie falls way short. At least with 30 Days the craptacularness that was the movie didn't ruin a trilogy. I'm still disappointed by how bad Spiderman 3 turned out to be...

Even cool posters couldn't save Spiderman 3

Anyway. 30 Days of Night. Terrible. But worse. Boring. I mean, really? How do manage to make a movie about vampires unleashing a bloodbath upon an unsuspecting town boring? That's not an easy task. But 30 Days succeeds. I really almost walked out. Several times. And even though i stayed, I kept checking my watch. It just dragged on and on and on.

It's just really bad. The acting is hideous. The characters are dumb. The gore is really, really disappointing. I may not go to a movie like this for the acting or the plot or the writing. But I do go for the gore. And when the gore and even the action fail to live up to potential. Well. You've just got nothing.

Even my love for Josh Hartnett couldn't save this movie for me. He may be pretty to look at but pretty isn't always enough.

Ben Foster is adorable. Although the black teeth are a little gross.

Of course. I must say, Ben Foster is quickly becoming one of my new favorites. For the small role he played, he is entertaining.

I definitely do not recommend 30 Days of Night. What a waste.

The movie may not have been scary but this dude was definitely creepy.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.