Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2008

Thoughts: SAG Strike?

The flutter of hope that had been ignited by last week's resumed talks between SAG and the AMPTP seems to have been quashed. They talked with a mediator for all of two days before worries of a strike once again emerged.

Really guys? That's the best you can do?

A quick article at Hollywood Reporter.


I don't have much to say about what I think of the deal or who I think is right or wrong. Frankly, I don't really much care. After last year's WGA strike, a slow year of production, and the continued decline of the economy, I'm with everyone else on this one. What we care about is being able to work. It's all ready become difficult. It's hard to find jobs, more and more of my friends are unemployed. I personally have no idea what I'll be doing come January. My current job takes me through the middle of December, I figure I won't be working through the holidays, and then...?

For most of us, it's not about whether or not a SAG strike would be justified. It's about being able to pay rent or mortgages; it's about survival. We all just want to, need to, work. Is that really so much to ask?

If SAG is that unhappy with the contract, would it really be that hard to just sign the damn thing for now and renegotiate in a couple of years? It's not like this contract is forever. Now is not the time for a power play. Now is time for reason and compromise.

Just give us a break all ready.

And for anyone in the industry who's tired of this nonsense, there's a No SAG Strike petition floating around. Check it out. Sign it. Let's get back to work.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.