Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

Thoughts: My Weekend in Film 11/17

I may not have made it to Quantum of Solace (boo!) but the weekend wasn't a complete waste. Now that my work schedule is falling into the realm of reasonable I feel like I'm actually catching up on everything life related. Including movie watching.

Friday PM:


I nixed my Quantum of Solace plans after I didn't finish work until around nine or so. I mean, I know that's obviously still early enough to catch a movie. I was just tired! Give me a break, okay?

I did manage to make it home for Pizza and Beer night though. We had a "Make your own pizza" night which was pretty rad. So fresh made pizza, seasonal beer, and a little Shakespeare in Love. Not too bad, I think.



Shakespeare in Love is one of those movies that I saw, I liked a lot, and then I kind of forgot about. Watching it again (for the first time in years) I can understand how that happened. With a screenplay by the fabulous Tom Stoppard I probably don't need to say that I love the writing. But I do! Otherwise, the film is well done, I enjoy it, but eh. It's not an earth shattering film experience. I might even go so far as to say it's a very safe movie. It's light and feel good and really, there's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy it. I'll probably enjoy it again the next time I watch five years from now. But it's not really something I need to own.

Saturday Afternoon:


I actually managed to wake up at a decent time and spent my day Saturday out and about. I rode my bike through the Marina, ran some errands, finally got my hair cut, hung out by the pool, had Pinkberry for only the second time ever, rode out to the beach for the sunset. Other than the smoke in the air giving me a headache, it was a great afternoon.

A quick note about the fires. It's crazy out here. The air is awful, as in it's actually full of ash. All of our thoughts are with the people being directly effected by these fires. It's pretty horrible. It's so bad that the news is actually reporting on it (rather than just sensationalizing it, as Wil Wheaton pointed out in his Twitter the other day).

After inhaling more smoke than was good for my head, I went home with a vague headache and the desire to just crash on the couch and watch something interesting on TV for a while. Luckily TCM was more than happy to oblige.



As part of their "Essentials" series they were showing Stanley Kubrick's 1957 film Path's of Glory. While I definitely consider myself a Kubrick fan, I have to admit that this particular film had managed to escape me. I'm glad I've finally scene it.

What struck me most about it, is Kubrick's use of the frame. The cinematography is fantastic and the contrast between the different locations is great. The close claustrophobia of battle, the open luxury of the commanders's quarters. Also, the mise-en-scene with the use of lines, the movement of soldiers in the foreground and background. This is the kind of movie I just want to watch over and over in order to really absorb everything that's happening visually.

Say what you will about Kubrick, be a fan or not, it's hard to deny that his reputation has been earned. Especially when you watch his early films.

Sunday PM:


I was supposed to go see the B-52's last night (roommate J scored some tickets) but my head was still killing me and leaving the house was the last thing I wanted to do. So instead I took a long shower, put on some comfy pajamas, and popped in Factory Girl.



I had added Factory Girl to my Netflix ages ago but finally just got around to watching it. I hadn't heard much about it from the critics but it came highly recommended from a friend. And given my slight obsession with all things New York City in the 60's, I was inclined to give it a go.

The verdict? It looks cool... It's the story of Edie Sedgwick, a sensational story on it's own, depicted in a shallow, disappointing manner. She's such a fabulous character, her story could have been told so much better! There really was no need to take the liberties that they took. Anyway, the movie isn't Horrible, it's just not great. What it does have going for it: Sienna Miller who looks great as Edie and, I never thought I would ever say this, Hayden Christiansen. Seriously, I think this is the only time I've ever liked the guy. While I know there have certainly been better Bob Dylans, Christiansen managed to really make it work for me (keep in mind that his character isn't really just Dylan, he's credited as "The Musician" and is supposedly a mix of several people Edie was involved with after her days at The Factory). Maybe it was the chemistry between him and Miller. Maybe his bad acting just really suits Dylan's personality. I don't know. Either way, the scenes with him and Miller were all my favorite.

And that was pretty much my weekend. The rest was dedicated to sleeping and being social and cleaning my room. I feel accomplished for once.

On The Slate:


Quantum of Solace. I promise this time!!!

JCVD - Maybe. Am I really admitting that I want to see this? HA!

Tropic Thunder and Wall-E both come out on DVD tomorrow and you can bet I'm going to be at the Best Buy tomorrow night buying them both. They were easily two of my favorite movies of the year so far and I want them!!! Plus I hear the DVD's are going to be really cool.

Beyond that, whatever I end up getting from Netflix. Right now I'm leaning towards 8 1/2 and Lust, Caution. But we'll see.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.