Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thoughts: My Weekend in Film 5/13

Normally I like to post my weekend thoughts on Monday. Which makes sense, it being the first day after the weekend and everything being fresh in my mind. However yesterday was incredibly busy and I just did not have the time to write.

Work was busy. In the morning I had to go to a production meeting for a few hours (meaning I sat there while people talked at us about the importance of confidentiality). When I finally got back to the office there was a pile of stuff to do. Make up for lost time and all that.

After work I braved traffic and made my way up to the valley and my editor's apartment. We worked for the next few hours working on my short and I'm pleased to say that it's just about finished. A whole lot of work and even more time and now I've almost got a movie to share. It's pretty exciting stuff.

With a day that went from pretty much 8:45 AM until 11:00 PM I just did not have the energy left for blogging. Today is a little calmer so I've got a second to catch things up. And here it is. My weekend in film:

Friday PM:

Anyone who lives or has lived in the LA area has probably heard of The Getty. It's a fantastic museum that's worth visiting for the views alone.



On Friday and Saturday night they were doing a special exhibit of California Video makers. Projected on the walls of The Getty's gardens were 18 different short films created by artists who make their homes in California. There were a variety of subjects but many focused on issues of identity as well as the artist's relationship with the video medium.

I wasn't a fan of every video but there were a few that were quite good. And the juxtaposition of moving images, The Getty's white walls with their clean lines, and the sparkling lights of the city of LA spread out below us was one that carried a message in itself. It gave a wider context to the medium.

We're constantly exposed to a such a never ending stream of media input that it eventually fades to white noise. This exhibit brought the power of the visual into sharp relief and made me think about the role and importance of media in the more mundane aspects of our lives. Sure, I spend a lot of time thinking about film and television but even still, there's plenty that I just take for granted. Exhibits like this one serve as a reminder that there is meaning to be found in the seemingly meaningless. Video is a form of art that has relevance beyond the mass produced, flavorless, assembly line entertainment we're fed day in and day out.

While the outside exhibit was only over the weekend, the main California Video exhibit runs through June 8. I recommend checking it out.

Saturday PM:


My parents were in town visiting for Mother's Day so I spent most of my day out and about with them. The beach, a little shopping in Venice, dinner at Natalee Thai (delicious!). After dinner my mom and I decided to go see Iron Man. Yes, I know I've all ready seen it. And talked about it twice. However, my dad didn't really want to go and I knew it was something my mom would like. So it being Mother's Day and all, I figured it was the perfect excuse to go see it again.

My second viewing and I enjoyed it just as much. The fun holds up and I really must say that I love watching Robert Downey Jr. in an action movie. There are a few things that aren't perfect (Gwyneth Paltrow is pretty flat, it really should have been shorter) but overall, like I've said, it is what it's meant to be. It's fun, it's shiny, and I've gotta say... I kind of want more. Hopefully sequels and etc won't suck. That would be pretty spectacular.



Is it wrong for me to say that I find Robert Downey Jr really, really attractive? Cause I do. He's hot. I had a bit of a crush on him when he had his brief stint on Ally McBeal and now that I'm a little older and wiser... my crush has moved beyond "a bit". I also do have huge respect for him as a comedic actor, an action hero, and, really, as just an actor in general. I'm pleased that he seems to have moved past his previous troubles and I look forward to what more we'll be getting from him in the years to come.


Sunday Early PM:


While waiting for the sun to come out on Sunday my parents and I just kind of hung around my house. I decided it was as good a time as any to stick on a little bit of Indiana Jones. Raider's of the Lost Ark was on cable and it was a great way to kill a little time.



I love the original Indiana Jones movies but you know, I'm not sure how excited I am about this new one that's coming out. Despite all of the ridiculousness of the originals, they managed to at least stay somewhat grounded in the realm of realism. This new one, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, seems like it just might be crossing the line. It looks huge budget and goofy. Also, rumors of aliens in the plot? Come on. Really? Ugh.

Of course I'll go see it and hopefully I'll like it. I just have fairly low expectations and I'm not hugely excited.

On The Slate:


Yeah. Three things, that was it for the weekend. What's coming up this week?

Prince Caspian - The new Chronicles of Narnia! Yay! The first one isn't the most amazing movie I've ever seen but it is cool. This new one looks like it's even a little darker. I think it's got a lot of potential. Opens Friday so I'll probably be checking it out come Sunday.

The Fall - A fantasy adventure set in 1920's Los Angeles. It stars Lee Pace (Pushing Daisies and the short lived Wonderfalls) whom I like a lot. I'm hoping to check this out tomorrow after work.

Paris, Texas - Still have it from Netflix. Still haven't watched it.

Justice League: The New Frontier - Also in from Netflix. Honestly, I accidentally bumped this to the top of my queue. I do want to see it though and with all the comic book movie talk going on the timing for it seems just about right.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.