Search This Blog

Monday, May 05, 2008

Thoughts: My Weekend in Film 5/5

I've just got to start this out by saying I am completely exhausted. I'm not even sure what happened this weekend, it was just a lot. There were house guests and social activities. There was the beach and the pool, shopping, a picnic, hang outs. There was food. And, as always, there were movies.

Thursday PM:



Technically the weekend doesn't start until Friday. Technically. And even though I did work on Friday, Thursday night's adventures at the cineplex felt like a weekend kick-off to me. Just like it was the summer movie season kick-off.

I all ready posted my Review of Iron Man so I'm not going to talk too much about it. I just want to say again that this movie is Fun. With a capital "F". It's not great but it is pretty perfect for what it's trying to be. A superhero movie with awesome effects and a lot of action. I love Robert Downey Jr and personally I think he makes the movie. It could have been slightly improved with a shorter running time but in the end it's worth seeing on the big screen.

Friday PM:



Made it to disc 3 of Season 1 of The Tudors. I'm definitely getting more into the show. The episodes I watched covered the outbreak of the sweat. At this point the drama is building, there are a couple of more story lines unfolding, and everything is being given more depth. I'm almost done with Season 1 now which is unfortunate since I still don't actually have Showtime. Oh well, Season 2 will be out on DVD eventually.



After The Tudors my roommate joined me and we put Mr. Bourdain back on the TV. I love having the DVR. We watched a few more episodes of No Reservations but that, along with Sex and The City, is an almost daily occurrence. I think we actually watched at least an episode every day this weekend. Friday night was Sweden. We also caught an Italy episode, another New York episode, and a couple of others. Good times.

I know I say a lot how much I like this show, but I just want to keep saying it! What really makes it is Tony's charming personality, the writing, and the locations. And Tony's reactions to all of the locations. One of these days I will actually pick up his book. And while I am not a fan of working in Reality TV (not that that's prevented me from being here) I would love to work on No Reservations. I think that would certainly be an adventure.

After No Reservations and a couple of beers I was ready for sleep. It was about midnight and after working all week I'm usually really tired on Friday nights.

Not that my going to bed meant the night was over. In fact, it was far it...

Saturday Super Early AM:

Around 2:30 AM my other roommate came home with a couple of Scottish boys in tow. I think she found one of them at Coachella the other weekend. Anyway, instead of sleeping I hung out, drank more beer, listened to a lot of music, and eventually stuck on a movie.

Now, what kind of movie would you put on at 6 in the morning, a little drunk, extremely sleepy, and in the company of a Scottish Italian? A Clint Eastwood western of course!



That's right, Sergio Leone's classic The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

I adore Clint Eastwood, especially his appearances in the westerns. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly is easily one of the best. Angel Eyes, Tuco, and Blondie. Of course Blondie. Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach, and Clint Eastwood. This casting is perfect, the chemistry is there, these men are rough. Gunslingers.

I'll be honest and say that I fell asleep before the end. It was 6 AM after all. But for Morricone's score alone it was the perfect choice. I love the music and with that in my ears and Clint's face floating through my blurry vision I fell happily comfortably asleep.

For a few hours at least...

Saturday:

Didn't watch anything. Not really. Turned the TV on a couple of times. There was a little bit of Scrubs, a little Sex and The City, some more No Reservations. Mostly though I was off doing other things and being social. Go figure.

Sunday PM:


Again, most of my day Sunday was spent out and about so I didn't watch anything during the day. After the day out and my picnic dinner by the Marina I was ready for some couch time.



I finally put in Once. And then my roommate brought the Scottish boys back and I couldn't for the life of me tell you anything about the movie. I got a good way through but really wasn't following so I hit the stop button. I'll try again this week.

I can say this though, I love the music! I'm actually really excited to actually watch this thing, especially now that I've heard a bit of it. I also have a feeling that I'll be purchasing that soundtrack. Probably sometime very soon.

After a while the Scottish boys left with roommate J and we finally had the couch returned to us. Roommate K and I watched a little Family Guy and then I introduced her to the crazy that is Aqua Teen Hunger Force.



I haven't watched the show in a while, I haven't even seen the movie, but I adore everything that I have seen. I think it's hilarious and nuts and it entertains me. Knowing my roommate, I was really surprised she had never seen it. It's just right up her alley. I'm now on a mission to make her watch a lot of it. A LOT.

Sunday Late PM:


Eventually she gave in to the tired and the TV was mine. I wasn't quite ready for sleep yet so I switched on Aliens (it was playing on Fox Movie Channel). I've always loved Aliens but it's been a long while since I've seen. Watching it again last night... I had forgotten how amazingly good it actually is.



James Cameron gives us a work of brilliance. Aliens is arguably one of the best sequels ever made. It fits so perfectly into the universe that Ridley Scott established in Alien but gives us something new. It's a formula that I've seen countless times since but I can't think of a single example that comes close to getting it as right as Cameron does. There's a reason the first two Alien movies are two of my favorite movies ever. Watching Aliens again last night just reminded me why that was.

On The Slate:

Once - Now I've seen a bit of it I'm all anxious to watch all of it. Hopefully I can actually make that happen this week.

Paris, Texas - Wim Wenders's classic road movie. In the mail from Netflix.

Batman - Tim Burton's original. With all of the Batman talk K and I are both feeling this journey back to the beginning. Some don't think it holds up but I'm still a fan.

Not sure what else. Gossip Girl tonight, Top Chef on Wednesday. Maybe some Grey's. And possibly a few other movies thrown in. I'm all in the mood to watch Alien again now.

Hopefully there will be a little sleep mixed in there as well. I think I definitely need some.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.