Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Thoughts: My Weekend in Film 5/26

Yay for Memorial Days and three day weekends! The day off was enjoyed greatly and I used my extra time for extra movie watching (among other things). It was pretty sweet.

I also apologize in advance if this post seems a little out of it. My allergies have got me feeling all icky today. It's only taken me three hours to write this. I'm sure it's completely coherent and awesome.

Friday PM:

While I didn't watch any movies I did go see a live performance of R. Kelly's Trapped In The Closet.



For those of you not familiar with it, Trapped in The Closet is a Rock Opera about a web of people involved in various affairs and other nonsense. It's pretty ridiculous and very amusing. It's available on DVD but you can actually watch the episodes online as well over at IFC's website.

This particular performance that I went to see was done by a bunch of white kids acting out the first 12 chapters. It was done by a talented bunch of performers and I don't think I stopped laughing once. I even only yawned once which is an accomplishment in and of its self considering the fact it was a midnight performance on a Friday night. There's a reason I usually don't go out on Fridays. Anyway, yeah, it was really good and I'm hoping they do the next ten chapters soon.

Saturday:

I actually spent most of my day Saturday at wedding so no movie watching going on there. Wedding was beautiful though. I even teared up a little during the ceremony.

Sunday Early Evening:


I spent Sunday wandering around my neighborhood, walking, drinking coffee, doing a little bit shopping. Both J and K were out of town so I pretty much had the day to myself. It was nice to not have a schedule and just be able to do whatever I felt like, whenever I felt like it.



I stopped back at home for a bit after shopping and decided to watch MASH. In honor of Memorial Day and all that (the irony is part of the point). I love MASH so much. I haven't seen as much Altman as I really should have but MASH is by far my favorite of what I've seen. The performances are great and Altman's style compliments the story so very well.

I was somewhat of a fan of the TV Series but until recently had never seen the movie. Watching the movie, I must say that it's far superior to the show. I still enjoy the show as much as I ever did but I'll take the movie over it any day.

Sunday PM:



After MASH I once again left my couch and ventured to the local theater to catch Prince Caspian. I like the first Chronicles of Narnia movie well enough and grew up with the books so I was happy to watch Prince Caspian. It's pretty good. I did like it a bit better than the first but I think I have the same problem with it that I had with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

It just seems like they can't decide who they want their audience to be. The films fall into this weird place where they're really too old for kids but too young for adults. Prince Caspian is pretty dark and violent, not something I would think to necessarily take a kid to. At the same time, it's still pretty young. I just think they would have a wider appeal if they went one way or the other. Honestly, I think going more in the direction kids movie would really work best. That may just be because the books were a part of my childhood.

Either way, if you liked the first you'll probably like the second as well. And I liked them both enough that I'll continue to see the series in the theater. Not as good as Lord of The Rings or some of the Harry Potters but good enough.

Sunday Late PM:


After the movie and a bit of work I decided to channel surf for a while. Have I mentioned that I'm a big fan of my couch?



I settled on watching the second half of Clueless. I've got to say, Clueless is still one of my favorite movies and it's easily one of the best teen movies ever. An adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma, Clueless is an intelligent, witty look at the lives of spoiled Beverly Hills teens. It's goofy and fun and I still love Cher's wardrobe.

It's one of those movies I will almost always turn on if I see it playing on TV. I've seen it so many times I've lost count. And yeah, I own the DVD. I've also been to the place where Cher is held up after the valley party. My friend lives down the street.

And. I have to point out the amount of tongue in that final kiss. Damn that's a lot of tongue.

I love it.

Monday AM:



Before Memorial Day BBQ fun I decided to veg on the couch for a while. Men In Black was on and I was honestly just too lazy to change the channel. I know. Go me and lazy. It's not my favorite movie ever but I love Will Smith and it was plenty entertaining for a quietly spent morning.

Speaking of Will Smith, I am so up in the air about whether or not I'm excited for Hancock. The premise sounds great, the second trailer looks decent, and my friend worked on it. It's just that the marketing is making me nervous. And the fact that the premier was canceled so they could go into reshoots. Less than a month before it's scheduled release. In addition to that they showed a trailer for it before Prince Caspian. Hancock mixed in with a bunch of family movies. It all seems like they're trying to market it as a goofy fun comedy which is NOT what the original premise of an alcoholic, troubled super hero seemed to be.

I'll still probably go see it but I don't have much hope for it being very good. Which is a shame because it seems like it could be such a cool, actually original, summer action film. Ah well. Maybe I'll be wrong. That would be nice.

Here's the trailer if you haven't seen it yet:



Monday Late PM:




After the BBQ and tie dyeing and other activities K and I decided it was as good a time as any for Dazed and Confused. Another of my favorite teen movies, Dazed and Confused is pretty much the perfect high school movie about nothing. The characters drive around, drink, get stoned, hang out, get into a moderate amount of trouble. It all ends in an awesome looking kegger that makes me a little jealous. How come we never had parties like that when I was in high school? If the kids I went to school with were that cool, I may have actually enjoyed my time there better. Oh well. Dazed and Confused is fun.

A word of advice though. Playing a drinking game where your one rule is take a drink whenever someone is paddled... not the best idea ever. You probably won't make it through the movie. My friend in college who tried certainly didn't. And I did not envy the hangover it gave her either.

On the Slate:

Rules of Attraction - after being told that I'll really like this by numerous friends I finally got it from Netflix. If I have my way I'll be watching it tonight.

Sex and The City - comes out this weekend. Of course K and I will be seeing it.

Not sure what else yet. We'll see.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.