Search This Blog

Monday, June 02, 2008

Thoughts: My Weekend in Film 6/3

How on earth did it get to be June all ready? Where has 2008 gone? Jeez time is wacky. Anyway. Weekends and movies.

Thursday PM:



Yeah, you all ready know that I went to see Sex in the City. I wrote my review (er, rant?) about it so I'm not going to say much more about the movie. I just want to express frustration. It's this thing where all of these women I know are going to see the movie. And the theaters are packed with other women. Part of me says "Sweet! A movie for chicks in the summer kicking ass!" and then the other part of me gets even more frustrated.

Why should it be such a rare thing for there to be a large opening of a film geared to a female audience? And when we finally get one, why does it have to be all about sex and marriage and babies? Every single plot point of the movie felt contrived. It feels like the writer or whoever tried to pack into this film every single thing that society thinks we're supposed to want as a female. The only problems we're supposed to worry about are the ones in our love lives. Granted, that's pretty much what the show is as well. It just seemed to me that at least in the show we saw the girls occasionally working. Or doing something other than being in a relationship.

It would just be nice if we could have chick flick that wasn't patronizing. Yeah. Anyway. I'm done.

Friday PM:

I love Friday night beer and pizza with K. Best roommate idea ever. Just gotta say.



After pizza and beer there were martinis and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Odd mix maybe, but it worked.

The 1987 John Hughes flick stars Steven Martin and John Candy. I'm not usually much of a fan of this type of comedy but I gotta say it hit just the right note for the night. It has some hilarious moments, a lot of goofiness. And some surprising seriousness. I watched it, I liked it, and then I passed out. Awesome.

Saturday PM:


Saturday night I ventured out to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery to enjoy their outdoor screening. If you live in LA this is something I highly recommend doing. Bring food, bring drinks, bring blankets, sit outside, enjoy a movie. In a cemetery. I went last summer and fell in love.



Saturday night's movie was a film from 1968 by Blake Edwards called The Party. It stars Peter Sellers as an Indian guy who accidentally gets himself invited to an Executive's party when he was instead supposed to be fired. It was mildly entertaining but I honestly didn't get that into it. Mostly I enjoyed hanging out with a few friends, eating some tasty food and enjoying some good wine.

They have screenings every Saturday and this year they've added Sunday screenings as well. It's only $10 to get in which is pretty awesome. You can park at the cemetery for another $5 or you can find street parking in some of the surrounding neighborhoods (what we always do).

Check out their website at Cinespia for more info about this summer's movies.

Sunday:

I had such an incredibly lazy Sunday. I've just been so tired from everything that I needed a day of nothing. I don't think I moved off of my couch until after 3.



A&E was rebroadcasting their mini-series adaptation of Michael Crichton's Andromeda Strain. The mini-series actually looked pretty cool so I turned it on.

I love the book and the original film from 1971 and I was curious to see how they would handle this update. Verdict? It's ok, not bad. For a made for TV thing it's actually pretty good. They modernize the science a bit, throw it into our current political climate, add some more conspiracy type stuff to plot. Which is all ok. It's not my favorite thing ever, a lot of the acting is pretty cheesy, but it entertained me enough for my Sunday. I might even give it another go sometime.

On the Slate:

That's pretty much it for the weekend. Overall it wasn't a bad one. This next weekend I'll be in Phoenix visiting my family so we'll see what happens there. A couple of movies I want to watch this week may have to wait until next.

Mongol - Comes out Friday. I'm super excited but I'm not sure it will be playing in PHX.

The Mother of Tears - Finally we're getting the final film in Dario Argento's Three Mothers trilogy. Again, this will probably have to wait for next week.

Don't know what else yet. I might try and see The Strangers. This week is shaping up to be pretty busy at work so a lot kind of depends on that. There will be something I'm sure.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.