Search This Blog

Monday, June 09, 2008

Thoughts: My Weekend in Film 6/9

After a crazy April/May, I decided to give myself a little mini-vacation. I escaped LA and spent the weekend with my parents in Phoenix, AZ. A lot of sun, a lot of pool, mini-golf, batting cages, and new glasses. All in all a good weekend.

Movie watching this weekend was a little sparse. With You Don't Mess With the Zohan and Kung-Fu Panda being the only major releases this weekend, I was in no rush to get to the theater. Of course, Mongol wasn't playing in Phoenix. That I would have gone to see.

I mostly spent my weekend hanging out with my parents and friends, but there was a little watching going.

Friday PM:

I caught the last flight out of LA to PHX so I had a bit of time to kill after work. I wisely spent it watching last week's episode of Top Chef.



The series finale of Season 4 is on this Wednesday and I'm pretty excited. I've watched Top Chef on Bravo since Season 1 and this is the first time since that season where I've really liked the chefs. Harold is still my favorite but I liked Leanne and even Tiffany of Season 1. Season 2 gave us Sam Talbot, and who doesn't love Sam. And season 3... well, I mean, the competitors were likeable. They just weren't very competitive. I just feel like talent-wise (which is sort of unfair to judge from home because we can't actually taste the food) this season gives us chefs who I feel like could compete with the Top Chefs of season 1. Season 2 didn't and neither did season 3. But Richard and Stephanie are awesome. They seem amazingly nice and genuinely talented. No offense Lisa, but I think it's pretty much down to the two of them to win.

And I'll be happy with either one of them. It would be cool to see a woman chef win but Richard is so awesome that I won't hold his gender against him. Either way, I'm looking forward to Wednesday's season finale.

Saturday PM:

Before the cold medicine kicked in and I passed out on Saturday, I watched The Rock. I know, what was I thinking? Voluntarily watching a Michael Bay movie? She really must be ill!



Actually, I used to really enjoy this movie. I never necessarily thought it was exceptionally good. But it was entertaining.

Watching it again... I can see where I enjoyed it as a teenager. Now though? Eh. Nicholas Cage is horrible. The dialog is so incredibly cheesy. I remembered that line at the end about the bad guy being Rocket Man (who could forget that garbage?) but seriously. The whole movie is just as bad.

Oh well, at least the Benadryl kicked in pretty fast and knocked me out. There are worse things to fall asleep to.

Sunday:

No movies. But I did get new glasses. To better enjoy future movie goodness. Mmmm... more goodness...

Anyway, yeah...

On The Slate:

Mother of Tears - Plans to go on Wednesday. Yay!

Mongol - At some point this week. I hope.

The Incredible Hulk? The Happening? I dunno. Maybe. We'll see.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.