Search This Blog

Saturday, November 07, 2009

I made a Pumpkin Pie and then went insane.

Last Friday before Halloween I went over to a friend's house for pumpkin carving. At the end of the night, after the pumpkins were carved, we noticed that there were still several pumpkins left. One of them happened to be a small pie pumpkin. After some insisting on their part, I took the pumpkin home.

Today, I turned it into pie.

Which in and of itself isn't all that unusual. I have even posted about pie baking in the past (remember my Blueberry Raspberry Pie over the summer?) What causes me to question my sanity is what else I did while cutting and scooping and otherwise massacring my poor, defenseless pumpkin. Um, I made a video?

Yes, I made a video. Of me. Making a pie. And then I posted it on Youtube? Well... yeah... I guess I did.

I was going to post the full recipe, and I still might later, but for now enjoy this somewhat complete demonstration of how to make a pumpkin pie truly from scratch.



I actually tried to record more of the whole process but for some reason the video thing on my computer kept stopping. So large chunks, like when I added all of the spices, just didn't record. Lame! I figured a couple of things out though and if I ever decide I'm this bored again I think I'll be able to make a few improvements.

In case you're wondering, the pies turned out great.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That. Was. Awesome. Those pies looked delicious.

TheLadysRevenge said...

Well thank you ma'am! Come to LA and I'll make you one ;)

Jennifer said...

Awesome. Love it!

Inkwell Bookstore said...

While I initially enjoyed the video, it now feels a little...distasteful in light of The Great Pumpkin Famine of '09.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Rain-may-put-pumpkin-pie-in-apf-1323181927.html?x=0&.v=7

The Irish Potato Famine was, well, small potatoes in comparison. And there you are, livin' large like a kitchen-centric episode of Cribs. FOR SHAME!

TheLadysRevenge said...

That's so sad! Those poor pumpkin fields!

I can't help but notice though that the article seems to be talking mostly about Nestle being affected and specifically canned pumpkin, not fresh. I have a hard time feeling any sort of sympathy for Nestle. They are not my favorite company in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

All the more reason to encourage people to by actual food like a pumpkin from somewhere local and take the extra few minutes to make it from scratch. We're made to believe that the only way to do things is to buy a can from a store when the reality is people were making pie long before Libby's existed and can continue to do so even if the can isn't available.

And hopefully a lack of pumpkins won't cause an entire country to starve...

Thanks for sharing the article! I hadn't really heard much about this.

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.