Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

National Novel Writing Month

I have what feels like a billion tabs open on my browser right now. Instructions on how to do something nifty to the formatting of this blog, links to cool new works by authors and musicians and artists that I like, articles about various film happenings and reviews and thoughts that I'd love to share, a page for something I'm researching, another page for a skirt I really want to buy and can't afford... They've all been open like this for the last week. Everyday I keep meaning to go through them, do what I've been meaning to do, post links to things I've been wanting to link to, and every day the number of tabs open gets larger rather than smaller.

Why don't I just sit down and get through it? The same reason that I suspect will keep me from blogging quite a bit over the next month. That's right, it's November which means it is once again National Novel Writing Month. NaNoWriMo for those in the know (i.e. big nerds like me).

I've been wanting to participate in NaNoWriMo for the last couple of years. Last year I even went so far as to sign up, write 100 words, and promptly give up. Let's just say that I was not in a novel writing place.  I blame it one work?

This year I vowed would be different. I had an idea for my novel two months ago. I changed that idea about a week ago. I'm sticking to my second idea, thankfully. I didn't really do any pre-writing but I did think the plot through, I have a pretty solid idea of where things might be going. Then on November 1st, Halloween recovery complete, I sat down at my computer. I actually began to type. Then I began to type faster. Before I knew it I was past my daily word goal for the day. It was exciting!

It's now day four and I haven't yet reached today's goal. I've written a chapter about a new character which was a bit harder than I had thought it was going to be and now I have to take a break to do life things. I'll come back to it this afternoon or evening to finish off my daily goal. Hopefully this will happen before the baseball game starts (Go Phillies btw!). Either way, I found that what worked for me while getting through the first rough draft of my screenplay this summer was setting a daily goal and sticking to it. For the screenplay I sat time goals, an hour a day, two hours a day, whatever, since I had no real page or word requirement. NaNoWriMo is different, the whole point is to reach 50,000 words by the end of November. So each day I have my word goal. I'm going with the unambitious break 50,000 words out evenly over 30 days plan giving myself a daily goal of 1667 words. During the first 3 days I surpassed that goal every day. I'm hoping to continue to do so. I'm sort of trying to bank my words if you will. You know, in case I ever actually get a real job and loose all of my wonderful free time.

I know I'm only on day 4 here and that things will most likely not continue to be this wonderful in Elissa writing land, but at the moment I am enjoying the heck out of this. It's such a pleasure to watch the word count grow, see the story develop, get to know my characters. Everything is still flowing in that wonderfully organic way that happens at the beginning of a writing project, when everything is still shiny and new and exciting. Week 2 I hear is harder. Then there's week 3. Finally week 4 comes around and you're just happy that the light is visible at the end of the tunnel. Writing is fun?

I say this and yet really, it is! I love writing and I am so unbelievably thrilled that this year has given me the time for it.

The even more wonderful thing about NaNoWriMo? Anyone can do it! That means you! If you want to of course. The beauty is, it doesn't matter what you write. It doesn't have to be good. You never even have to show it to anyone. You are doing this thing purely for yourself. To exercise your brain muscles, be creative, have fun. Spread the word-use love. We have words! It's a wonderous thing to be able to use them. Tell a story! Make up some nonsense! Who cares what it is!

I'm hoping that at the end of this I'll actually have something good. I like what I'm doing so far. I plan on sharing it with my writing group once I get a little farther along. I'll do the rough draft this month and see where I'm at. If I still like it after 50,000 words and a month of crazy, then who knows? Rewrites in December!

If you're at all curious about NaNoWriMo, I strongly encourage you to at least go browse the website. It's definitely not too late to get started on something for the month. It's only day 4!

If you need a pep talk, although I hope you don't this early but maybe you will want to come back here in the next week or two, there are lots on their website from various wonderful authors. This one is from Neil Gaiman.

Oh! And if you're all ready signed up, be my writing buddy! Find me by my user name theladysrevenge. Let me know if you do. We can be writing friends!

Good luck guys! Let the writing madness commence. Or, at least, continue.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.