Search This Blog

Sunday, December 14, 2003

Thoughts: The Burial Society



Tonight was the first night of the annual Peninsula Jewish Film Festival and they showed the Burial Society. The whole thing was a really nice set-up. The woman in charge introduced the film and the festival committee members. Then after the screening there was a dessert reception with free Ben & Jerry's, little pastry things, coffee, and a Klezmer band. I had a very nice time and I'm really glad I went.

As for the film, I really enjoyed it. The plot was really complex so it was a bit hard to follow, but I thought it was really well told. And the cinematography was beautiful. It was also just really humorous. The film is a Jewish Film Noir, which is just really cool, about this accountant who gets involved with these Jewish mobsters (yes, I said Jewish Mobsters) and ends up running away to this small town where he joins a burial society. I can't really say anything else without giving away the plot, but it really is good.

A very nice, interesting, well acted, well directed, and just all around well made film.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.