Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Review: Driving Lessons

Originally posted at Epinions



When considering Driving Lessons, two questions come immediately to mind. First, will Rupert Grint be able to escape the world of Potter? Second, do I really need another indie coming of age story?

The answers: Yes. And No.

Driving Lessons is writer Jeremy Brock’s (The Last King of Scotland; Her Majesty, Mrs. Brown) first directorial effort. Supposedly inspired by events and memories of his childhood, Brock tells the story of Ben Marshall. Marshall is the seventeen and a half year old son of a preacher and an evangelical. His father is frustrated, his mother is insane. After she decides to take in the troubled Mr. Fincham, Ben is tasked with finding a job to help pay for Mr. Fincham’s recovery. All in the name of being a good Christian. The job Ben finds is an assistant position with the aging actress Dame Evie Walton. Through his experiences with Dame Evie, Ben discovers a bit about the world and more about himself.

It’s incredibly easy to compare this movie to many others (Harold and Maude for a start) and it never does venture far into the world of originality. It also follows closely the conventions of “Independent Cinema”. It falls comfortably into a group of films including such recent examples as Garden State and Squid and the Whale. All coming of age dramas about male protagonists with complicated family lives. And that’s not to say that any of these are bad films or that there is something wrong with fitting into this category. That’s just what it is. Personally, I like a little more spice in my diet.

Driving Lessons does step away somewhat in that it is never completely over run by the cynicism that other films affect. There is always an air of innocence and repeatedly I found myself thinking of the movie as being “sweet.” A large part of that is a credit to Rupert Grint.

Grint’s Ben and Julie Walters’ Evie are two characters who are meant to be together. While the relationship occasionally flirts with the idea of romance, for the most part it sits solidly in the realm of friendship. Evie is outlandish and Ben is stoic. Their personalities clash but compliment at the same time. One of my favorite scenes is one between the two of them in Evie’s garden. They recite Shakespeare and Ben moves from reluctant partner to enthusiastic participant. Again, it’s “sweet” but it’s also engaging and Grint is given a moment to really perform.

It’s another trap of the “indie” film that Brock falls into with his directing. For some reason, it seems a prerequisite to include a lot of shots of the protagonist staring blankly ahead. I think it’s supposed to convey a sense of frustration? Disillusionment? Disenchantment? Disappointment? Depression? More words beginning with a “D”? Impotence? Yes, I’m sure that staring straight ahead requires a vast amount of acting skill. Lets see that shot again please. Thank you.

Grint does manage to show promise as a young actor, he has some truly fine moments, but over all I don’t think that Driving Lessons ever fully takes advantage of whatever talent may be lurking behind his quiet exterior.

And while the directing in Driving Lessons is never bad, it’s nothing incredibly fantastic either. Technically, it’s a well done film. There are some excellent compositions, the editing is solid, the story’s pacing worked for me, there are good performances. It just never moves beyond competent.

It’s not a bad choice for a rainy afternoon, if you have nothing else you particularly wanting to see, or if, like me, you’re curious to see what Harry Potter’s young stars can do in a different venue. Just don’t expect the film of the year.

In addition to Grint and Walters, the cast is rounded out with Laura Linney as Ben’s mother, Nicholas Farrell as Ben’s father, Jim Norton as Mr. Finch, and Michelle Duncan as the cute and seductive Bryony.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.