Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thoughts: Close Encounters of the Third Kind



I came home from work today to find my roommate watching Close Encounters. Naturally I sat down to join her. It's one of those movies that I've watched a million times and will happily watch a million more. Can I call it a feel good adventure story? Perhaps.

There's a reason that Stephen Spielberg is considered great and it's not War of the Worlds. His older works are still my favorites, probably always will be. And while Close Encounters doesn't quite beat out Jaws, it's near the top of my list.

Richard Dreyfuss is fantastic. I adore him. Especially in his earlier films. But I'll still watch him, it's true. And he's great in this. If you actually take a minute to look at his character, Roy really isn't always a great guy. He is overcome by his obsession, he abandons his family, runs off with another woman... Oi. But Dreyfuss makes him loveable anyway. A true hero.

Close Encounters is a classic in the science fiction genre. And it's something that you can sit down and watch with the family. Even if the hero's family is a bit broken by the end... Really though, it's a well done film, it's got great music, it's Speilberg when he was at his best.

And it's a great way to end a long and tiring day.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.