Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Production: DIY Filmmaking, Strike Anywhere, And Exhaustion


DIY - Do It Yourself. Low budget, guerrilla, all about the art. At least, that's the ideal. DIY
is a movement, sort of, of indie filmmakers who are bypassing the traditional Hollywood system, taking advantage of affordable technologies, and just getting their movies made. In the best examples it's honest, real, uncompromised, art. In the worst examples, it's a bunch of hacks taking advantage of their friends. For the most part, it's amazing.

Strike Anywhere Films - An indie production company specializing in ultra low budget DIY
productions. I worked with them last fall (they happen to be personal friends of mine) on a feature in San Francisco. It was an absolutely amazing experience. I would do anything to help these guys out and that's what makes it work. For Strike Anywhere, it's not about the
profit, it's about bringing the unique visions of their filmmakers to life. I worked with them on City On A Hill, Amy Seimetz's original story of love and revolution. Currently, they are working on a feature directed by Barry Jenkins (who I've heard much about but have yet to
meet) called Medicine For Melancholy. If that title sounds familiar, you might just be a fan of Ray Bradbury.

Either way, you should really check these guys out. They can be found at Strike Anywhere
Films
. And if you like what you see, you should help them out with their DIY odyssey and buy a shirt.

Exhaustion - My current state. And it's only the second day of shooting. Oi. While today was long, it was actually fairly uneventful for me. A couple of little runs, some sides making, locking the door at the end of the night. That was more or less it. We have three more shooting days and then a week of wrap and then we're done. Pilots really are fast.

Of course, since this is such a fast show, I now have to look for more work. Again. Have I mentioned that this is the worst part of working in this industry? The constant job searching. I enjoy the randomness but a little security and stabilitly would be nice every once in a while. Knowing that I'll be able to pay all my bills... Ya know.

For now though, I'm just going to finish this post and grab some sleep. While my morning isn't as early as most of the crew's (I have the late shift in the office) it's still pretty early. And my days are just as long as everyone else's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c90/goldling/strippe/e35.jpg

TheLadysRevenge said...

Ha, NICE.

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.