Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2008

Thoughts: My Weekend in Film 4/21

So with Birthdays and Passovers and other life things, my weekend was once again uneventful in the film world. What did I do?

Friday PM:



Sex in the City! I know, I'm such a girl.

I actually have not seen much Sex and the City in the original, HBO form. I don't have HBO and haven't had it for years. So I watch a lot of the syndicated, edited episodes. I enjoy the show, it's fun, but I have a feeling I'll like the HBO uncut versions better.

My roommate on the other hand is a huge fan. She has the DVDs somewhere (not in our house or I would have watched them), is excited for the movie, etc. Most of my Sex in the City watching is due to her putting it on.

Not that I mind, like I said I enjoy the show. It's a nice little bit of escapism that I can relate to my Real Life even as I recognize the fantasy. While I don't necessarily think that my life should revolve around dating and I'm certainly not in a rush to settle down, I like talking about boys. I will probably always like talking about boys. And Sex in the City gives me exciting boy talking with out all of the mess and nonsense that accompanies it in Real Life.

I have enough Real Life. If I can have a couple of hours of fantasy on a Friday night... excellent.

Saturday late late PM/Sunday early early AM:

After a long day of cooking and eating and drinking wine (it was the first night of Passover) and hours of swinging on the neighbors hammock, it was time to come inside, thaw out, and catch a flick.

I flipped through my DVDs but honestly I was just too tired to commit to anything. So when I turned on the TV and TBS was playing A League of Their Own... good enough for me!



I grew up with baseball and still have a soft spot for this movie. Mostly for the baseball and because I'm a girl. Girls playing baseball? Awesome!

It's been a while since I'd last seen it and while I still enjoy it, not all of it holds up. A lot of the jokes just come off as cheesy. There is also more sap than I'm generally a fan of.

But there's baseball and that makes me smile. It's an easy, fun movie than I can lie on the couch and fall asleep to.

Sunday PM:



Again my day was filled with things other than film. By the time Sunday night rolled around I was ready for another easy watch. Sticking on the theme of a chick weekend, the roommate and I put on Little Women.

I feel much the same way about Little Women as I do about A League of Their Own. Not all of it holds up, there is an excess of cheese, but it focuses on interesting Women characters who manage to have more in their life than just romance and talk of romance. Almost an opposite of Sex and the City.

Another easy watch that is somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

And that was pretty much it. I may actually attempt to go to the theater sometime this week. It's been a while.

Still on the slate:

Once. With everything else that went on during the past week I never did make it to Once. It'll happen this week.

More Tudors. I got the second DVD from Netflix! Yay!

Maybe some other things. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.