Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Thoughts: Punch-Drunk Love



I love Paul Thomas Anderson. To the point being a little fangirl-ish. Normally I reserve my fangirl excitement for the cute faces of actors like Josh Hartnett or Johnny Depp. However, I occassionally get just as excited over someone working behind the scenes. The combination of Wong Kar Wei and Chris Doyle, for example.



PTA is by far my favorite of the moment. I loved There Will Be Blood with a fangirl's blindness. (What do you mean you liked No Country For Old Men Better????) I think Boogie Nights is utterly brilliant. And Magnolia? I may not ever completely understand the frogs but I still think it's genius.

With all of that, I've just now gotten around to seeing Punch-Drunk Love. Why the long wait? I have no idea. There are just so many movies out there that occasionally, or frequently, I don't come even close to seeing all of the ones I want to. Netflix helps but what I really need is more than 24 hours in a day.

Punch-Drunk Love is not my favorite PTA film. I think it's good, there are elements I think are great, but overall I found myself unable to fully connect with the story. The first half is incredibly slow and while Adam Sandler's performance is actually very good, I found the film lacking in humaness. I felt like I was being kept at a distance when I desperately wanted to be engaged.

As the story develops and more characters are introduced things improve. By the second half I was completely involved and very happily so. I think what really helped to crack the ice more than anything was Emily Watson. I think she's a great actress and she is beyond adorable in this movie. And while her wide eyes frequently convey a sense of childish wonder and innocence, she is capable of expressing an impressive range of emotion. I really feel like her performance in this film is spot on.

While this film is filled with the bits that I've come to look for in PTA's work, it's not his strongest film. Which I'm sure he all ready knows. However, with strong performances and visual style that grew on me as the film progressed, it's worth seeing. I don't think other fans of PTA will be disappointed.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.