Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

Oh Roman Polanski

Over the weekend director Roman Polanski was arrested by Swiss authorities after he arrived in Switzerland to attend the Zurich Film Festival where he was to receive a lifetime achievement award. His crime is nothing new, he's been a contentious figure for the last three decades. In the 70's he fled the states after he was sentenced for raping a 13-year-old girl. He's been living in exile ever since.

So why was he arrested now? Sure, LA County has been actively trying for the last few years. Is it simply that this time they knew where he would be and when? Sure, why not. Conspiracy theories point to Swiss involvement with UBS. That might be a stretch? Who knows.

I'm curious about the timing but after reading various arguments I'm honestly more interested in whether or not he deserves to be arrested. Is this justice? Or is it something else?

There are various arguments. On the one hand, he committed a pretty terrible crime and then fled the country, evading justice for decades. Just because time has passed, doesn't mean he gets a get out of jail free card.

Other people argue that he has paid for his crimes. They site the trauma of his wife's murder in the 60's, living as a fugitive for three decades, even his parent's internment in concentration camps during WWII.

Or they argue that his role as an artist somehow excuses his crimes. His brilliance as a director gives him a free pass.

What do I think? Looking at the above it probably sounds like I'm falling on the side of bringing him to justice. Is that how I really feel though? I don't know. True, I don't really feel that either of the arguments for his freedom hold much weight. That he's suffered enough sounds like pity and excuses. Let him go free because he's an artist? That doesn't really sound right either. Just because someone makes a cool movie doesn't excuse bad behavior. 

And yet... he was arrested on the way to a ceremony that was supposed to be honoring him? The methods behind his arrest just feel so wrong. He's old! His winning an award he deserves! He should be allowed to enjoy that. Putting the situation into that context makes the "he's suffered enough already" argument seem more valid.

If it's a question of justice then, well, what would justice in this case be? The victim has all ready publicly forgiven him and dropped charges. They came to an out of court settlement. If she's satisfied, shouldn't we be as well? What makes this case larger than the injured parties?

I don't know if he should be forgiven but I'm also not the one who needed to do the forgiving. It's not like arresting him now is going to be taking a dangerous predator off of the streets. If he was a dangerous predator I think we would have noticed that sometime over the last 32 years. Rather than haplessly raping every minor he's come in contact with, he's lived a life of exile and continued to make great art. In spite of, or maybe because of, the events of his life.

The media loves scandal. How much of this is about the scandal? If Polanski wasn't who he is, would we still be chasing after him? Sure, he probably still would have had to stay in exile but would authorities go through this much effort for someone with no name recognition? If the media didn't care, would they? Maybe I'm being a little cynical here, but I have a hard time thinking so.

So much of this just feels like a contrived stunt at Polanski's expense. Maybe I'm crazy. Definitely cynical. I guess from here we just see how this plays out.

For opinions more informed than my own:
Links to a bunch of articles
Q&A on the case
The victim forgives

3 comments:

Cat said...

I'm on the side of justice as well. Only I think that since he's been living the good life in Europe for 30 years, it doesn't matter where they arrested him. If you're running from the law, they've made it clear they'll arrest you, and you telegraph your movements anyway, you had to know it would happen sometime. If he had raped my daughter or sister, I wouldn't give a damn where or how they arrested him and how it looked for him. I agree they probably would've forgotten about it if he were a no name, but a no name shouldn't get away with it either.

I just have trouble feeling sorry for a guy who raped and sodomized a 13 year old, whether she forgives him or not. To me it tells others that you can do what you want, as long as you can run far, fast, and long enough for your victim to give up on justice.

I can see where you're coming from, just bringing a different POV to the table!

TheLadysRevenge said...

I definitely appreciate your POV! I pretty much do agree with what you're saying, in general and in this case. It was an ugly crime that he really shouldn't have gotten away with. Which is why I think these arguments that he's suffered enough are just silly.

I think what bothers me about his arrest and all of the media coverage is that while there's a lot of talk about justice, that doesn't really seem to be the focus. It just feels like more exploitation of a sensational story.

Who is his arrest helping? No one that I can tell. It feels like there's something flawed in this whole process but I have to acknowledge that that feeling probably has absolutely nothing to do with legality but rather with the focus of the discussions and debate online.

Maybe my question isn't "Is this justice" then. Maybe it's more that I'm baffled by our reactions to the story. Your reaction seems like the one we should all be having. Why then are so many people arguing that his arrest isn't fair? What would be fair?

I feel like I'm going back and forth and contradicting myself a lot here. I guess I just can't really decide where I'm falling on this issue beyond the simple he committed a crime and deserves to face the consequences of his actions. Whether or not he's faced those emotionally is speculation, legally he has not. I guess in the end that's what it should come down to.

TheLadysRevenge said...

Oh! And the art thing. I didn't address that bit.

I think the idea of Art is playing into the mixed emotions on this one a lot. On the one hand you have a clear cut criminal case (alliteration much?) and on the other you have Art.

The fact that he's an artist in and of itself does not excuse him, let me make that clear. A person's profession never gives them leave to hurt someone else, in my mind at least. I'm talking more about the art itself.

Polanski is undeniably a talented director who has given us some fabulous movies. While maybe he does deserve to be locked away, it does seem like a tragedy on top of a tragedy to take away the chance he may make another great film. He has contributed significantly to society through his art and that is important to.

Doesn't excuse him, shouldn't give him the right to do whatever he will, but it does count for something. Whatever he's done in his personal life, whether or not he's a good person, he's still given us something. Maybe I'd feel better if they had arrested him after the film festival...

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.