Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Production: How Networking can be a real pain in the buttoody

So, for all of you who have or are trying to get into the film buisness I'm sure you've heard the words "Networking is key." This always scares the shy at heart for we were never good at saying "hi" to someone just because they might be able to get us somewhere.
You try to think of it as making friends then. But that too can get tricky.
I know this girl who is trying to get into the camera department (don't read into this). Unfortunatly when ever she works on a show with a new crew someone in her department hits on her. This makes "networking" difficult. How are you supposed to keep in contact with the head of your department without him thinking you like his advances. She's told him she's with someone and she's told him she just wants to be friends but the advances keep coming. There is a potiental job for her coming up but she wont get it unless she keeps in contact with this prosuer. Poor girl. What is she to do.

1 comment:

TheLadysRevenge said...

Of course, sometimes it can be great to play the girl card. Like when you have a car full of crap to distro to people you don't know. That would just be silly to say no when not one, not two, but several different males all offer help.

Really, being a girl can be good at times like that. Other times, many other times, not so much.

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.