Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2007

Production: Studios, Boredom, and Ambition



One of the coolest things about all of the runs I have to do is that I get to visit all of the studios. I've been on Warner Brothers, Universal, Sony, Fox, Paramount. I worked on the Universal lot for two weeks and yeah. Golf carts are awesome. Free tour of the backlot anyone?

Universal is huge. Sony is smaller, I've actually been able to walk rather than drive around there. There is a lot of construction going on there right now. It's craziness. Paramount and Fox I've seen less of. WB I like a lot. It's nice, it's easy to get around once you figure out where the buildings are, and it's pretty. I'm a fan of trees.

I still get a kick out of telling people that I get to work on the lots. It's neat.

There is the coolness of the lots. And then there is boredom. Oh boredom. Being a PA can be so incredibly boring sometimes. When there aren't runs to do or copies to make... there can be a lot of down time. I hate the boredom part of my job. It seems that with these last couple of shows I've worked on there has been a lot of the boring. I'm ready for something more exciting and challenging.

Which I will hopefully find soon. I'm ready to work on something bigger, something huge and crazy and complicated. I have a possibility. It's just all a matter of timing. And whether or not the coordinator liked me. But I will find out in a couple of weeks. Maybe then my problem of boredom will be solved.

Either way, I'm just about ready to not be a PA anymore. Which may sound like a weird thing to say. Because really, who ever wants to be a PA? Why would you want to be at the bottom?

Being a PA isn't all bad though. It's a great place to learn. I have learned an enormous amount about production these last eight months. Being in the production office is also a great way to meet everyone. I get to meet the heads of all of the departments, the producers, sometimes the director and writers, and even the talent. I get to see what everyone else does and that helps me to figure out what I want to do.

For example, I know I definitely do NOT want to be an AD (Assistant Director). That is one crazy stressed out department right there.

Meeting people opens doors. It gives you opportunities to work in different departments, people will recommend you for jobs, someone may even want to buy your script (ok, that's maybe not so likely. But stranger things have happened).

We've said it before and we'll say it again. It's all about who you know. That "who" can be anyone though, it doesn't have to be someone big and famous and powerful. It just has to be someone who maybe has another job coming up and likes you.

I've learned. I've met. Now I'm ready to grow. Make the move up. Get that promotion. Hopefully that will happen soon. One or two more PA jobs I can deal with. Beyond that, I think the boredom may actually drive me insane.

Not that I'm not already insane. I am trying to work in the film industry after all. Where's the sanity in that?

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.