Search This Blog

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Production: Saying No (and Speaking Too Soon)


Sometimes you just have to say "No."

It just sucks when you have to say "No" to a job offer. Especially when you don't necessarily have another job.

Yesterday I recieved a call from an APOC (Assistant Production Office Coordinator) about a job. Unfortunately, they needed someone to start today. I don't finish this pilot until tomorrow. You're probably thinking, "but you gave up almost a month's worth of work for two days??" Yes, yes I did. Even if it would have meant working for another few weeks, I have an obligation to my current production. I started here with the understanding that I would work until we wrap. We don't wrap until tomorrow so I am obligated to work here until tomorrow.

Sure, my coordinator may have understood (I'm actually sure she would have), but leaving a job early is just bad form. It is not a habit you want to get into. And leaving with no notice, that's just not cool. I mean, sometimes a better opportunity comes up and you would be insane not to take it. There is a correct way to go about that though. And given a decent amount of notice is key.

Getting called at 4 pm to start the next morning... that's not really enough time to give proper notice. It's just unfortunate that they couldn't have waited until Monday. I easily could have started on Monday.

In a case like this, I just have to suck it up and figure that it wasn't meant to be. It sucks but what can you do? I like the people I'm working with, I might like to work with them again, and I don't want to be a jerk. Especially two days before we finish.

Oh well. Maybe I'll get a job on the new GI Joe movie they're making instead.

[Edit] Only hours after writing this post, I get a call back from the Coordinator. Apparently they decided they could wait until next week after all. I start with them on Tuesday. How excited am I? Oh very. And bonus, a crew member I was just working with on this pilot will be on this next feature as well. He's an awesome guy and I'm really looking forward to seeing him around set again. You really can speak too soon.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.