Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2009

Thoughts of the Day

The roommate search continues. It was an, um, interesting weekend of meeting potential roommates. Okay, some of these emails K and I have been getting are just plain scary. A guy emailed K today professing to be a "Submissive" and expressing his hope that we would not only let him rent a room but make him our slave. Er. Yeah... That happened.

How hard is it to find a nice, normal person in LA? Apparently that hard.

Also apparently difficult, getting anything useful passed by the Senate. Can Lieberman just go away already? I mean seriously. Apparently reasonable access to health insurance is too much to ask of our government. Public option? Nope! Health insurance for people under 65? Nope! No big deal that people have lost/are losing their jobs and with them their benefits. No big deal. Who needs health insurance really?

I do like how my friend put it on Twitter: @DanMazinOMG If Joe Lieberman were a soup, he'd be Cream of F*cktard.

Bah. Sorry. Mini-rant. Moving on.

Nikon is running a video contest to share your day in 140 seconds or less. My friend entered and made an awesome little video about recovering from a foot injury. He really was a gimp for the last couple of months! Yay for returning to mobility.



It's the end of the year which means it's time for the annual slew of "Best of..." Lists. Slant magazine has their 25 Best Films of 2009. That one definitely makes me feel like a slacker. I've seen maybe two of those movies? Three? I have a lot of movie watching to catch up on.

io9 has their 20 Best Sci Fi books of the decade. I also have a lot of reading to do. My Amazon Wish List just got a lot longer. I haven't read a lot of those but there are a few by authors I like a lot (Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver, Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom), a couple I've been meaning to pick up for ages (Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife, World War Z by Max Brooks), even worse ones I own but haven't read yet (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke), and best of all ones that I'm not familiar with (like The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia).

And as always I'm always happy to take recommendations for things I should read/watch/consume in some fashion. I like discover new little bits of wonderful. Share away!

2 comments:

Lauren V. said...

I have so so many books on my shelves that I haven't read. Mostly I think they exist so that my roommate can read them.

I do very highly recommend Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell! At least, the first third of it. I'll let you know about the rest.

TheLadysRevenge said...

I can't remember who said it, it was someone awesome I promise, but basically they said something to the effect of What's the point of having bookshelves full of books you've already read?

I really need to get into that book! I was so excited to try it but then once I finally picked up a copy, it got lost in the piles of I NEED to read this that exists in my room. I should just bump it to the top.

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.