Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Girl Talk Thursday - Ladies' Night!

Wow am I tired tonight. So tired that it took me three tries to spell “Girl” right. One of the things I’ve been trying to do with my unemployed time is workout regularly. I figure that once get another job I probably won’t use my free time for the working out thing. I like to be in shape (and let’s face it, look good nekked) but I do have other priorities. Like writing. Or sleeping.

I have no job now though and lots of time so I’m more than happy to spend a little of it doing crunches or pretending I know what I’m doing at the gym. The result of the excess of activity is that beyond the nice abs I will eventually have, I am incredibly tired. I’m not really used to this level of energy expenditure. I’m also having difficulty lifting my arms.

But I digress. This is my Girl Talk Thursday writing! This week’s topic is a good one, what do you like to do with your chick friends?

I love my girl time. I need my girl time. A lot of the things I do I don’t necessarily designate as “Girl” things vs. “Boy” things. I’m just as likely to grab a drink with my best guy friends as I am to go out with my ladies.

That being said, there are a few things that usually top the list when I’m planning lady time:

HAPPY HOURS

While certainly not limited to Girls’ Nights, I do enjoy a good girl only HH. Martinis and girl talk, one of my favorite combinations! I was evenly recently convinced that I do indeed like olives. At least the vodka soaked kind that comes in my Dirty Martini. Mmm… More than that though I just enjoy the chance to get drunk and giggly and gossipy with other girls. I like talking about boys and bitching about work and waxing philosophical about the other random topics that are bound to come up.

I have to be careful though or one of these days Gracie is going to convince me to join Match.com. Yikes!

SHOPPING

When I go shopping it tends to be more of a Mother & Daughter thing than a Girl thing. Granted, at this point in my life hanging out with my mom is very much so a Girl activity.

I do enjoy wandering through the clothes store and I like doing it with other ladies. It’s fun to play dress up and shop and compare. I’m not a huge shopper but if I’m going I don’t mind the lady company.

THE BEACH


I adore the beach. I love riding my bike out there, stopping for a beer, lying in the sun. The only thing that makes the beach better is going with my lady friends. It’s a lot of the same with the chatting and the being goofy, there’s just sun and, when we’re lucky, really hot surfer boys to ogle. I like ogling the hot surfer boys.

PIZZA AND BEER NIGHT

Pizza and Beer Night is almost exclusively a roommate activity on top of being a girl activity (well, being that both of my roommates are girls… I guess that goes without saying). After a week working with the hours that we tend to work when we actually have jobs, staying in, ordering a pizza, grabbing a six-pack, and putting on some terrible movie is the perfect Friday night. It’s the time to stay in, bitch about work, gossip about boys, be tired, plan the weekend, and pass out. From exhaustion rather than alcohol.

THE GIRLS’ NIGHT


The common thread that runs through all of these things is that rather than what the activity may be, the point is the company. While I adore grabbing a beer with G, sometimes what I really need is an extra dose of estrogen. To vent, to bitch, to commiserate, to laugh, to be goofy, to relax. I like boys, I enjoy doing many things with them, but I don’t always want to be around them. Sometimes I just want/need my ladies.

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.