Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Unemployment Tuesday

Remember a month ago when I claimed I wasn’t going to let unemployment get me down? I like to think of that post as more of a pep talk before a big game than anything remotely realistic. So now a month later when unemployment is most definitely getting me down I have something to look back on, something to remind myself of all of the positives.

Why is it always worse at the beginning of the week? I’m guessing it’s because after a weekend of being able to forget about searching for a job, everyone around you has gone back to work and you have to go back to facing reality.

I feel like I have to keep repeating the words “I’m okay” to myself and to others. Really I am though. I know this is all temporary, a job will come. Preferably sooner rather than later, but it will come eventually. And then I’ll go back to bitching about how bored I am, how miserable the hours are, etc. etc. etc. all while I’m secretly thrilled be doing anything, not matter how mundane it may be.

One of the things that had been helping me with my sanity was the number of friends and acquaintances who are also unemployed. I say “had been” not because they’ve now gotten jobs, they haven’t, but because rather than making me feel less alone those numbers are now making this feel more helpless. If all of these people can’t find jobs, how will I?

I know these aren’t healthy thoughts to dwell on. It’s just impossible to keep them from popping up.

I briefly had the thought of counting the number of resumes I’ve sent out (a lot) as compared to the number of phone calls or interviews I’ve had (one) in the last month. But those numbers truly are depressing and that’s definitely not something I want to dwell on. Even the temp agency I’m signed up with has this encouraging message pop up when I update my availability:

As you might expect, the number of applicants/associates is currently quite high relative to the number of available positions. However, if we can locate a good match for you, your AE will contact you.

Encouraging.

Of course it’s not just LA and it’s not just my industry being hit. The New York Times reports on how Unemployment Aid will be running out for many now claiming benefits by the end of the year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported unemployment in June was over 9%. There’s even a nifty color graph by state. The black ones are all over 10%, including my lovely California.



Image from The Big Picture.

Am I shocked I don’t have a job? How can I be?

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not writing this for sympathy or anything like that. I don’t particularly mean to be whining. This just is what it is right now. I’m facing a bit of the inevitable. I want to be a creative type? I want to live some sort of artistic lifestyle? Chances are that no matter what the state of the economy, I’m going to be facing financial difficulty while I get started. That’s how it’s always been. This economy just means I’m not alone in my pain. At least I just have my own ass to worry about. I feel bad for everyone with families and a million more problems than the ones I’m facing

I really don’t want to be a complete Debbie Downer here. Stay tuned for a more fun post filled with awesome weekend discoveries and fun links and other things that make me smile. Coming as soon as I put my sheets in the dryer. At least unemployment has left me plenty of time for laundry…

No comments:

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.