Search This Blog

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Rough Draft

I have a Rough Draft! 95 pages of scripty goodness. I've been resisting the temptation to post constant progress updates (which became harder and harder to resist the farther along I got) but I think this is an okay one to post.

I have a screenplay. With a beginning, middle and end. There are characters, dialogue, plot, structure, there's even a climax. Of the narrative device, story telling variety; get your minds out of the gutter people!

This is such a huge thing for me. It's my first feature length screenplay. It's something I never actually thought I could do. And while I know it's far from finished, I still have 95 written pages! Written pages that I wrote!

So what now? Now I print it out, read through it, and make notes on the myriad problems which I know still exist. Scenes need to change, some need to go away all together. The ending will probably change completely depending on something I think needs to happen to one of the characters. A lot of dialogue still needs fixing.

All in all it's a long ways away from actually being readable by anyone other than myself.

So I'll try to refrain from more progress updates until I get to the first draft. Until I send it off to friends for feedback. No promises on a time frame there. And no promises I won't talk about it more until then.

Is this what it feels like to be a writer?

2 comments:

Lauren V. said...

Yay, congratulations! If you would like me to read & edity/advise once it's fit for human consumption, I'd love to!

TheLadysRevenge said...

I have to be honest, the thought of sending it your way had occurred to me! That would be awesome.

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.