Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Girl Talk Thursday - Showers!

This is a Girl Talk Thursday post! Mommy Melee explains.

To be honest, my shower/bath/bathroom routine is incredibly boring. I’m sort of the opposite of a girl when it comes to all of this stuff. My routine involves showering. Top to bottom: start with the hair, end with the feet. Sometimes I shave?

After the shower it’s just slap on the deodorant, mess some gel in my hair, and apply the Oil of Olay moisturizer with SPF 15 on my face.

Teeth brushing happens at some point. Hair drying usually doesn’t.

And that’s it. There’s no make-up, no extended routine or ritual. I like showers and all, I’m sort of OCD about taking them, but there’s nothing particularly special to report.

I like my Aveda shampoo and my Tom’s toothpaste. Although I have to admit that for financial reasons I’ve just been using random drugstore shampoo lately. I adore Lush anything but don’t really have the money for that either. And frankly, I’m too lazy to go through the routine of three different products to make me clean and soft and smelling nice. Um, those are all great things. But yeah, lazy. I settle for clean and the basic body wash.

Ha, somebody help me here? I’m feeling like I’m at a loss with this subject.

Actually, now that I’ve said that I know exactly what my shower time does for me, beyond the whole part where I get clean.

I have to shower every morning, almost always before I do anything else, not only because I’m really weird about having to be clean but also because it wakes up my mind. The creative part of me gets moving and shaking. I use the time in the shower to reflect on any dreams I may have had, go through them step by step as a way of remembering what they were.

More significantly, when I’m writing my shower time is when I think about what’s going on in my story. I think about my characters, consider where they’re at, and figure out where they’re going next. It’s an incredibly important part of my creative process because when I’m in the shower there is no distraction. There is no internet trying to tempt me, no phone ringing, no trucks driving by or gardeners mowing the lawn. There’s just the hot streaming water and myself.

I think through ideas and sometimes I’ll even live an entire conversation in my head. All that remains when I finish is to get on the computer and type it out.

So I really do need my showers. They are essential. Well, the showers yes. And the coffee. I can do nothing without my coffee.

The Shower (I like the window. And most of that stuff isn't mine)


My shelf of stuff. I use maybe two of those things on a daily basis.

And the bathroom. A little small but not too bad for three girls.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

hello, lady. this is the first blog thingie i've read of yours. and i was entertained. though confused at first, b/c i really didn't understand why you were detailing your shower routine...

on a slightly related note: i stopped using deoderant a couple months ago. i know it's not for everyone, but i advocate everyone try it. i find it liberating and i feel like it's gotta be better for me to go au naturale, no?

TheLadysRevenge said...

I suppose I should probably explain the girl talk thingy at the top of the post, huh? That's what the edit button is for! Woo!

And no deodorant? Really? You don't get, um, smelly? Huh. Interesting!

Thanks for reading! Glad you were entertained :)

About This Thing

This blog is about film and life in the wonderful world of LA. I'm a filmmaker just getting started; I'm navigating my way through the industry, trying to find work, and sometimes even managing to make a living.

I've worked across the country on projects big and small. Everything from an indie in PA shot during the dead of winter to one of the bigger reality shows involving Models and the things they do.

I also just love doing things*. I'm a writer, aspiring director, wannabe photographer and cook. I waste too much time on the internet and sometimes all I want to do is hang out with my dog.

Stick around and chances are you'll catch me writing about it all.

*I use the word "thing" a lot. An inappropriate amount. I can't help it. There are just so many different things to talk about. And I just kind of like it.